Institute for Study Abroad - Butler University

Information

Costa Rica Spring 2011

Who's going to Universidad Nacional?!

Members: 18
Latest Activity: Jun 20, 2013

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Costa Rica Spring 2011 to add comments!

Comment by Elana Metsch-Ampel on January 17, 2011 at 2:23pm

hey everyone, i heard that unlocking an american phone and putting a costa rican sim card w/ a costa rican plan can work and is pretty cheap.. i'm going to try that!

also - i'm flying in to san jose early sunday afternoon from newark, nj, is anyone planning on arriving in CR around the same time (between 12 and 2?) and interested in booking a taxi together?

Comment by Jerusha Michele Hawkins on January 16, 2011 at 11:37pm
I wasn't able to change my U.S. phone to an international plan, so I can't offer much advise in that respect. I bought a pre-paid phone here. They are pretty cheap and it is well worth the expense. You shouldn't have to bring bed linens; they should be provided by your host family. I did bring a beach towel (very useful), but my family also provides me with a towel to use at home. I would assume that is normal for most host families.
Comment by Mary Fay on January 15, 2011 at 7:05pm
thanks for the advice so far Jerusha. Whats your suggestions for phones? I know they said we could get a temporary phone in Costa Rica, but theres also an option to switch a u.s. cell phone to an international plan... also, did you bring bed linens and towels down with you or does the host family generally provide those things?
Comment by Jerusha Michele Hawkins on January 13, 2011 at 11:32pm
I always use cash for the day-to-day stuff. I usually try to take out an estimated amount for the week (there are ATMs everywhere) and then leave my cards at home in a locked drawer. Try not to carry them around with you all the time. I have a credit card for emergencies when I am traveling, but realize that they aren't as widely used/accepted here.
Comment by Sarah van Nostrand on January 11, 2011 at 10:13pm
thanks guys! - and mary fay i think we're actually staying with a separate host family for the week in monteverde, but not sure if we're staying alone or with other people. another question, probably for jerusha- so i have a credit card but how do you get cash out on a regular basis? like what forms of money do you think i should bring? thanks again!
Comment by Mary Fay on January 11, 2011 at 1:07am
hey guys! I'm also leaving from charlotte.  My number is 302-299-9505.  I'm excited to meet you all!  is everyone attending universidad nacional?? and for the week in monteverde, are we staying in a hotel the whole time or just the first night?
Comment by Kaelyn Lykins on January 10, 2011 at 11:04pm

Thanks so much Jerusha, that helps a ton!

For anyone leaving out of Charlotte, my cell is 704.699.0016.

See y'all a week from Sunday!

Comment by Jerusha Michele Hawkins on January 9, 2011 at 9:05pm

Hey to all the girls who are wondering about clothes...

By all means bring dresses and skirts if you want, but I strongly suggest bringing jeans. That is what you are most likely to see on campus and in the city. Shorts are fine for the beach and so forth, but not classes. Remember to bring dressier/fancier clothes "para salir en la noche." :) My tica sister recommended bringing a little bit of everything. I'm stressing the jeans; I wish I had brought more.

Hope this helps. :)

Comment by Sarah van Nostrand on January 8, 2011 at 10:09pm

happy new year everyone! TWO WEEKS AHHH! just read the 3rd newsletter and saw that shorts aren't culturally acceptable in the city :( boo. i'm trying to figure out my clothes, so to all the girls, you guys bringing mostly skirts? sundresses?

also for those of you flying out of charlotte, not sure if it's worth it but is there a way we could exchange some #s to get ahold of each other in the airport? i know we can't have phones abroad but i'm thinking of bringing mine just for travel. mine's 802.989.5839. see you guys soon! 

Comment by Marshall Genn on December 14, 2010 at 6:48pm

What's up yall. My name is Marshall and I go to Macalester in St. Paul Minnesota and I'm originally from Berkeley CA. My only stop over is in Phoneix, AZ before getting in to SJO at 7:20pm. 

Look forward to meeting everyone, and getting to Costa Rica.

-Peace

Members (16)

© 2017   Created by IFSA-Butler Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service